30 years ago…
- Michael Jackson and The Police dominated the Billboard charts with their hits “billie jean” and “every breath you take.”
- M*A*S*H ended its 11year streak where its finale became the highest rated episode in TV history.
- Microsoft Word was first released.
- McDonald’s introduced the McNugget.
- Return of the Jedi, Risky Business, National Lampoon’s Vacation, and Mr. Mom were cinematic gold.
- Martin Luther King Day became a federal holiday.
- Vanessa Williams became the first African-American to be crowned Miss America.
- Tom Brokaw became the lead anchor for NBC Nightly News.
30 years ago, My Parents got married.
Which we all know is way more significant than the release of the McNugget.
There’s obvious reasons why that day was significant.. my forthcoming existence for one, but more so, the joining of two imperfect people choosing one another to journey through the highs and lows of life ahead. Together. Forever.
I’m so unbelievably grateful for their commitment exchanged with honest words that day and the decisions and choices daily made from then on to love one another.
As much as im petrified of parenting and the idea of shepherding little moldable and breakable hearts, I’ve seen the beauty that comes from seeds sown, time given, and love deeply shared. I feel fortunate to have experienced and continue to know full well all of those things as my everyday reality because of my own parents. Their example of generosity, selflessness, and love i will carry with me forever.
Mum and Pops,
Thank you for loving God with humbled hearts willing to be led and measured by His word. Thank you for loving and serving each other well and demonstrated what that means in the context of everyday life. And thank you for sowing seeds, giving extravagantly and freely of your time and attention, and loving us deeply.
Happy 30th Anniversary!! I pray that this is just the beginning of the redefining. That the next 30 years will be served and sown into with divine purpose and the fullness of joy.
Im so so grateful to call you MY parents.
Love yall so much!!